Morrisons apologises after advertising ‘non- EU salt and pepper’ on its British chicken

Supermarket chain Morrisons has backtracked after advertising a ‘British’ chicken made with‘non-EU salt and pepper’.
// Morrisons backtracks after advertising a ‘British’ chicken made with‘non-EU salt and pepper’
//  A rep from the supermarket said that the packaging was being changed “immediately”

Morrisons has apologised after advertising that ‘non-EU salt and pepper’ was used on one of its chicken products.

Customers were angry that the £4 Salt & Pepper Chicken Crown is advertised as being made from British chicken and using salt and pepper that was not from the EU.

The move comes amid concern over the ‘UKIPisation’ of Britain’s supermarkets, with products increasingly wrapped in the Union Jack flag.

READ MORE: Morrisons to become the first supermarket to own & operate a solar farm

The wording angered many customers, with one taking to social media to say: “Tell me @Morrisons that this is not real. Your response will dictate whether or not I ever shop at your stores again.”

David Bright replied: “I’m done with shopping @Morrisons.. I can live with union flags on bananas, but the gratuitous slight on the EU is too much..”

Some did jump to the supermarket’s defense with one saying: “I’m really unsure what the problem is? We are all supposed to be looking at air miles, local is the best option surely? For our pockets and the environment, be that supermarkets or local independent shops.”

A representative from the supermarket said that the packaging was being changed “immediately” and said “the wording on the packaging is an error for which we apologise.”

The Food Standards Agency does mandate that all prepacked food has a food label that displays certain compulsory information.

Click here to sign up to Retail Gazette’s free daily email newsletter


  1. Morrison’s was right in the first place no need to change anything or apologise to any one , the majority of people in this Country voted to leave the EU and since then they have done everything to punish us well good on you Morrison’s more shops should be buying British goods also

    • Yeah, definitely a great move, quite sure they will not gain too much among Brexiters (51% consumers) while risking to antagonize remaining 49%…
      The negative emotions is much stronger driver than the positive one, and there will be much less people who liked it, was not Morissons customers for convenience/ price reasons, and now will drop their Tesco/ Aldi just for this stunt. The opposite may not be true.

      Not a big deal anyway, Morissons has been underperforming for so long, it will just accelerate the inevitable

    • Goodness me, how often do you have to educated on this, the majority of people in the uk did not vote to leave, it was a majority of people who bothered to vote and as I recall it was 37% of the voting electorate.

  2. Morrisons like all supermarkets had to list this by law, nothing to do with Morrisons and everything to do with the stupid EU directives that came up with this. First pepper isn’t grown in the EU so all pepper is from outside the EU but yet it has to be listed that way. Second it’s a superiority issue with the EU as though EU goods are better and non EU goods are inferior so it needs to be pointed out to people if it has non EU ingredients.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here