// M&S extends its temporary purchase restrictions of 2 items per person across all grocery items
// M&S also increased its in-store “suitable for home freezing” signs
// Elderly shoppers will get early access to stores from Friday morning
Marks & Spencer has extended its temporary purchase restrictions of two items per person across all of its grocery division in the midst of the coronavirus outbreak.
The news comes after the retailer rationed its hand sanitisers and antibacterial products earlier this month.
M&S has also increased its in-store “suitable for home freezing” signs and introduced an online “tips for freezing” blog in a bid to educate customers.
- Coronavirus: M&S stores will remain open, CEO Steve Rowe says
- Big Interview: Nathan Ansell, Marketing Director, M&S Clothing & Home
Moreover, the struggling retailer will set aside the first hour of trading in stores on set weekdays for NHS and emergency services workers and older or more vulnerable customers to shop, respectively.
Elderly shoppers will get early access to M&S stores from Friday morning, and every following Monday and Thursday.
On Thursday, M&S announced that its stores and business functions will remain open, as it puts new measures in place to support customers and colleagues amid the outbreak.
Chief executive Steve Rowe said staff from the clothing and home team will be joining the food teams to help with increased demand.
M&S is the latest food retailer to introduce rationing across grocery lines.
Yesterday, Tesco introduced a three per person limit across all products in a bid to counteract coronavirus-linked stockpiling.
Asda also announced it is restricting all customers to buying up to three items on all food, toiletries and cleaning products amid a surge in demand.
Waitrose also introduced a rationing system yesterday.