// JD Sports will open its UK store estate from June 15
// It will include new safety measures in stores
JD Sports has confirmed its plans to reopen its UK store estate following the easing of government lockdown restrictions for non-essential retail in England and Northern Ireland.
The sportswear retailer will also introduce new safety measures to ensure that staff, customers and suppliers can safely return to its stores.
From June 15, JD Sports will reopen all 309 of its stores in England to customers across the totality of its store estate including those in shopping centres, high streets and retail park locations.
- JD Sports remains doubtful of shopping centre stores reopening mid-June
- Mike Ashley & JD Sports boss Peter Cowgill in race to buy Office
JD Sports also intends to open its high street and “open air” stores in Northern Ireland from June 12, although stores located in shopping centres will remain closed.
The retailer remains uncertain of the reopening of stores in Scotland and Wales as the lockdown restrictions remain in place.
Meanwhile, JD Sports’ store colleagues have already begun preparing their stores with new health and safety measures and are receiving new social distancing training ahead of the relaunch.
“As the most iconic retailer in sports fashion, we hope that our customers are just as excited as we are that once again our doors are open, showcasing the most aspirational, sports-inspired footwear and leisurewear from the leading global brands,” JD Sports executive chairman Peter Cowgill said.
“We sincerely appreciate everyone’s patience whilst we have been closed during this difficult period and it is a pleasure to welcome you back to JD.
“The health and wellbeing of our colleagues, customers and communities remains JD’s top priority.
“Following 12 weeks of lockdown, we recognise the continued importance of maintaining social distancing and a safe environment in which to work and shop, and therefore have taken all necessary steps and precautions to give our staff and customers the confidence that they can safely return to our stores.”
JD Sports’ new measures, which will be continually reviewed in line with the latest government guidance, include:
• Managing the total number of customers in the store at any given time, ensuring this is kept within the maximum threshold established for each store, while enabling customers and staff to comfortably follow the social distancing measures that have been implemented.
• A colleague will be stationed at the entrance of every store to act as a “host” by managing access and to answer any questions customers have about the new safety measures in place.
• Clear signs at the entrance and around each store reminding customers to keep two metres apart.
• Hand sanitiser at each store entrance and outside customer lifts and escalators.
• Protective screens at all tills, as well as regular cleaning of tills, footwear benches and other busy areas.
• Returned stock will be separated from new or old stock for 72 hours to reduce transmission risk.
• All changing room facilities will remain closed for the time being, in line with Government guidance.