// Westminster City Council deputy leader Melvyn Caplan resigns after Marble Arch Mound cost blows out to £6m
// The attraction attracted complaints it was still being constructed shortly after it opened last month
// The Mount aims to boost footfall across London’s West End shopping district which had been battered by 3 lockdowns
The deputy leader of a London council has resigned after the total costs for a 25-metre man-made hill in the edge of the city’s busiest high street nearly doubled to £6 million.
Refunds were offered to the Marble Arch Mound, created by Westminster City Council, the day after it opened to members of the public on July 26 following what the authority called “teething problems” with the attraction amid complaints it was still being constructed.
The council’s leader, Rachael Robathan, said in a statement today that her deputy Melvyn Caplan had resigned with immediate effect after a “totally unacceptable” rise in costs.
- “London’s worst attraction”- reactions to the new Marble Arch hill
- Will the new Marble Arch hill draw footfall for West End retailers?
- Plans unveiled for 25m Marble Arch hill to lure shoppers back to Oxford Street
“The Mound opened too early, and we have apologised for that,” Robathan said.
“It has become clear that costs have risen more than anticipated and that is totally unacceptable.
“Our original forecast cost was £3.3 million. Total costs are now £6 million, covering every aspect of the project: construction, operation and eventual removal.
“With regret, I have accepted the resignation of my deputy leader, Melvyn Caplan, who led the Mound project.
“We have also instigated a thorough internal review to understand what went wrong and ensure it never happens again”
The 25-metre mound, planned by Dutch architect company MVRDV, was designed to give views of the capital’s Oxford Street, Hyde Park, Mayfair and Marylebone.
It is part of a scheme to boost footfall across London’s West End shopping district which had been battered by three lockdowns, empty offices stay-at-home rules, and plummeting tourist numbers.
“We are determined to continue our hard work to restore our city’s vibrancy, bring back visitors and ensure people can keep their jobs,” Robathan said.
“Doing nothing was never an option. So when the Mound fully reopens in September, I hope that people will come and see it for themselves.
“The Mound may delight or divide views and that’s ok, but we’re confident that in the end it will fulfil its original brief – to get people back into the West End and remind them of why this is a world class city.”
The council also announced today that tickets to the mound, which is due to be open until January 2022, would be free for August.
Caplan has served as councillor for Little Venice Ward since 1990, with the Conservative also a former leader of Westminster City Council.
with PA Wires